$ 100 Million Dollars
Smokey is a famous American singer, record producer and a song writer. His real name is William Smokey Robinson Jr. he belonged to a poor background and his father was an African American and his mother had distant French ancestry. He was born in the North end of Detroit. He was nicknamed “Smokey Joe” by his uncle Claude. He got his education from Northern High School. He took keen interest in studies and was a sports athlete as well in his high school. His passion for music started in high school during which he formed a doo-wop group named Five Chimes. When he used to live in Belmont, he was neighbors with famous singer Diana Ross. His interest for music was inspired from Nolan Strong and the Diablos. He put together a line up for the Five Chimes in 1955 in which he included his childhood friend Ronald White and Pete Moore. After two years of its formation, the trio renamed it as the Matadors after including three more members Bobby Rogers, Emerson Rogers and Marv Tarplin. The group later revamped the name of the band as the Miracles. Smokey Robinson net worth is estimated to be around $100 million which is due to his contribution towards the music industry.
- Date of Birth: February 19, 1940
- Age: 77
- Profession: Singer, song writer, record producer
- Spouse: Frances Robinson
- Children: 3
Journey to Stardom:
Smokey Robinson along with his group auditioned for many record labels but failed to get any sponsor for their songs. He met the famous song writer Berry Gordy who was impressed with Smokey’s voice and writing skills. They recorded their first song “Got a job” which became a hit. He then started going to college to study electrical engineering in 1959. After the release of their first single, he left college to pursue music professionally. Smokey Robinson net worth got a boost up after the launch of the first track. Gordy founded Tamla records which later was renamed to Motown records. The group’s first single “Shop around” became the label’s first official single and was an instant hit. Smokey established himself as a famous vocal artist in the 1960s and 1970s. He became the vice president of the Motown records in 1960s but in 1969 he wanted to leave his group to raise his two children. He remained with the group till 1972. He stayed away from the media for a whole one year after which he announced his comeback as a solo artist by launching his own album “Smokey” in 1973. Hi second album “Purely Smokey” was released in 1974 but it failed to grab the attention of the audience and opened to negative reviews. The Beatles were hugely inspired from Smokey’s work and even gave a tribute to him by singing his famous single “Purely Smokey” in their album. He then released another album in 1975 titled “A Quiet Storm”. The album took Smokey Robinson net worth to a whole new level. He gave many hit singles like “Cruisin’”, “Being with you” and “Just to see her”.
Trivia about Smokey Robinson:
- He won his first Grammy award in 1988 for his hit single “just to see her”.
- He was included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 as a solo artist. Smokey Robinson net worth ascended after that given his successful tenure at the music charts.
- In 1989, he was included in the Song writer’s Hall of Fame.
- In 2006, at the 138th Commencement Convocation at Howard University, he was awarded the Doctor of Music degree.
- He was among the five Kennedy Centre honorees along with Dolly Parton, Steven Spielberg and Zubin Mehta in 2006.
- Smokey knew Diana Ross when she was just 8 years old. That time, he would not know that both of them would went on becoming the successful singers of their time.
- He was once a teetotaler but in his late 20s he got involved with marijuana and cocaine.
- After all these years of making music, Smokey Robinson net worth never descended as he was honored with several awards including his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame along with his Miracles members.
- He has not tasted red meat since 1972.
Smokey married his band member Claudette Rogers in 1959 from which he has a son named Berry and a daughter named Tamla. He named his son after the Motown founder Berry Gordy and he named his daughter after the original Tamla records owned by Berry. His illegitimate son Trey was born in 1989 from another woman out of wedlock. He had him while he was still married to Claudette. He filed for divorce after revealing the extra marital affair to Claudette in 1986. He sang the song “The Agony & the Ecstacy” during his period of separation from his wife. He is the believer of Transcendental Meditation. He has golden green eyes which he got from his mother’s side. Smokey Robinson net worth is comprised of his famous album sold outs and his income during his tenure as the vice president of Motown Records.
See Also: Justin Bieber Net Worth 2016